Form a Group
How to form a new group for the PMA in PDX
You'll need at least 5 people in a democratic process by April in order to register for the PMA. You will strive to send a representative to planning meetings(not required), and commit to read all resolutions and discuss as a group prior to the May 8th PMA. You should also consider submitting one or more resolutions for action.
Democratic process – here are 4 off the shelf options:
- Robert's Rules of order/Parlimentary Procedure
- Simple majority rule voting
- Simple Democratic Process
Have a focus for your group – what's the glue that holds your group together:
- Group of friends – affinity group, easiest when you have some shared politics
- Issue based – Health care, opposing the new bridge, opposing the police killing of Aaron Campbell
- Make things better for you and yours – unions, student organization, neighborhood organization, community organization
How do we get a hold of you? – Have one or more ways to contact the group, email, voice mail, etc
Once that's all solid here are additional nice things to have:
- Name for the group
- Agreed upon principles
- Email List
Come big or come small: If you're part of a large organization that can't commit to the PMA process, but you have a small group of folx that want to, just come as that small group and be clear that you can't represent the whole large group.
creating democracy wants to help: www.creatingdemocracy.org – use the get involved form
Save the date: Saturday April 3rd – Form new groups, write resolutions for the People's Movement Assembly in Portland.